"And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them."
How have you been a good friend today?
"Love is more important than anything else. It's what ties everything completely together."
How did God show his love for the world?
How do you show your love for others?
What can you do today to show love to other people?
'God said to human beings, "Fill the earth with people and look after it. Care for all that I have made."'
What is our responsibility to care for God's world?
How can I behave responsibly today?
Who relies on me to act responsibly?
"I am the Lord your God. I am holding your hand, so don't be afraid."
How was Jesus courageous?
What helps people to be courageous?
How have you shown courage today?
"It is better to be honest and poor than dishonest and rich."
Why is it important to be honest?
"Try to earn the respect of others."
Romans 12:17, paraphrase
Who do you respect and why?
What sort of behaviour earns respect?
What do you do to show you respect someone?
The purpose of governance is to provide confident, strategic leadership and to create robust accountability, oversight and assurance for educational and financial performance. The Governing Body has three core functions:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction;
- Holding leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the performance management of staff;
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent.
Crucially, Governors need to use and be familiar with objective data on the performance of pupils, teachers and finances so that they can ask the right questions and ensure resources are allocated to school priorities.
Our Governing Body has agreed that Part 1 of its meetings will be open to observers.
Observers are invited to be present at meetings of the Local Governing Body, provided that:
- They have made a request, in writing, to Tessa Jones, the Clerk to the Governing Body, to attend the “open” part of any meeting.
- The request to attend is sent no less than 14 days before the date of the meeting to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- There is sufficient capacity/space to attend the meeting. Should space be available, the Clerk to the Governing Body will email an invitation to attend the meeting, and the agenda, 7 days before the meeting.
- Persons attending the meeting understand that they will be recorded in the minutes as “In attendance”.
- Persons attending meetings understand that they are doing so at the invitation of the Governing Body and, as observers only, they must agree to:
- Not speak or in any other way interrupt the meeting.
- Leave the meeting at the request of the Chair of Governors if any part is deemed, by the Governing Body, to be confidential.
- Not record any part of the meeting electronically or in writing.
Failure to abide by these expectations may result in an individual being asked to withdraw from the meeting and potentially be refused an invitation to future meetings.
Governor business is conducted through two full meetings each term. The first of these will focuses primarily on leadership and management, and will include resources and premises matters. The second of the termly meetings will focus primarily on outcomes for learners and teaching and learning matters.
Agreed Minutes from Part 1 of Previous Governing Body Meetings
Part 1 minutes of Local Governing Body meetings are posted to the website when approved by the Governing Body.
St Martin's is a member of Enlighten Learning Trust. The Trust is a Multi-Academy Trust which provides strategic direction and oversees the governance of all the schools within the trust. The Governing Body of St Martin's Schools acts as a Local Governing Body and Committee of the Trustees.
Dates of forthcoming 2022 -23 LGB meetings
Autumn 1: 12 September 2022
Autumn 2 (Finance): 14 November 2022
Autumn 2 (Full): 29 November 2022
- Spring 1: tbc
- Spring 2: tbc
- Summer 1: tbc
- Summer 2: tbc
Key Information about our Governors
Mrs Jaynn Taylor - Appointed by trustees
Chair of Governors and Governor appointed for liaison in the event of an allegation against the Executive Principal
Mrs Angharad Todd - Vice Chair of Governors & Foundation Governor (appointed by the Parochial Church Council)
Mrs Sarah Chorley - Foundation Governor
Lead Governor for Child Protection and Safeguarding
Mrs Anna Keith - Foundation Governor
Lead Governor for School of Faith
Reverend Nick Parish - Foundation Governor
Lead Governor for School of Faith
Mrs Maggie Down & Mrs Kate Marchesi - Co Head Teachers
Mr Adam Holliman - Foundation Governor
Mrs Sarah Jeffery - Foundation Governor (appointed by the Parochial Church Council - PCC)
Ms Phoebe Gadsby - Parent Governor
Ms Elzanne Smit - Parent Governor
Vacancy - Staff Governor
Mrs Tessa Jones - Clerk to the Governors
For full details regarding each governor including dates of appointment, lead roles, appointing body, business and financial interests and attendance registers please click on this link.